October 4, 2008

Jealous? A Little!

It is a father's dream to watch their sons do something for the first time, especially when it is something we can remember, as if it were yesterday, that we did ourselves growing up. These last few years my boys have shown interest in activities that I have thought about and never really pursued. Motorcycle riding abotu 3 years ago and this past summer hunting. Austin and Taylor both conveyed their interest last summer which prompted the purchase of a German Shorthair pointer. After taking her out last fall with Richie on some hunts I wanted to shoot a Pheasant so bad, but I had to wait a year until I had my license. This is that year. I have been out a couple different times already this year hunting and have 4 Dove and 2 Quail breasts in my freezer, but I am chomping at the bit to get my first Pheasant. Two more weeks. We went out again for Quail this morning and came up empty handed. Today Pheasant opened up for youth. A friend at work told me about a WMA that they just stocked with a bunch of roosters. I was so excited to take Austin out there and let him have a chance to get one, but a little part of me hoped that we either would not see any or that he would miss. We did see one and as any dead eye would he downed it. He got one shot off at Pheasants today and he brought one dead Pheasant home. Despite wanting to get one first I was so proud that he was able to shoot and kill it. It was a beautiful bird. He made a great shot. I noticed it towards the end of the field we were in and Kya tracked it while we crept upon it. I thought we had lost it and Kya was on hard point but I could tell she could smell something. All of a sudden the ground beneath us felt like it exploded. We were standing about 2 feet from each other and Austin swung around, cocked his gun, and fired bringing the bird to the ground. As I watched I was extremely impressed. Despite facing the wrong direction the bird went he spun a 180 without endangering anyone around him, slightly miss handle trying to pull the firing pin back, getting it set, and still hitting the bird before it darted beyond hitting distance. It was a great experience and I am so glad that he got it. I think he will admit it was pretty cool getting a Pheasant before his old man.


Nice JOB son! You made me proud.

3 comments:

Rich Smith said...

if your not jealous i am...
Great Job bud! Now you know why I love pheasant so much. they are so pretty and alot of fun shooting.

Matt said...

Good work Austin. If Rich was there he would have scared the poop out of the bird by spraying bullets all around him. Just playing Rich.

PS - Thanks for the color changes now I can read your blog without worrying about my eye sight going bad.

Quiltermama said...

Just make sure that gun points up! Good for Austin, next time your turn.
mom